You’ve probably heard the old saying, “a dog is man’s best friend.” There’s a lot of truth to that, but finding the “right” dog can be a bit of a challenge, especially if you have children. Some dog breeds are just better with kids than others, so if you have kids, what best dog breeds for young children should you be looking for? The short guide below will give you some excellent options!
- The Boxer – While there are several breeds of dogs that are great with kids, the experts almost unanimously agree, Boxers are the best of the best dog breeds. They check all the boxes that make them ideal for children, being energetic playmates (pack-mates), and always willing to entertain your kids. It would be overselling it to say that you won’t still need to hire a babysitter for those evenings you want to go out, but the bottom line is that they’ll always be eager playmates for your children. The thing you’ll like best though is the fact that Boxers have a strong protective streak, and as long as they’re around, you’ll find them to be stalwart protectors for your kids.
- The Collie – A herding dog, the breed was made famous by the hit TV show “Lassie,” and with good reason. These dogs are as good with kids as they are with the animals they historically guard and protect. These dogs are affectionate and fun-loving, and will happily play with your children for hours on end, and will be quick to sound the alarm if there’s any trouble, which is why they’re on the list of the best dog breeds for young children.
- The Mastiff – These gentle giants aren’t for everyone. They require a lot of space, so if you live in an apartment, this isn’t a good choice, but trust us – no one is going to even think about bothering your kids with a giant Mastiff lurking nearby. Even better, they have sweet dispositions and are quick to befriend just about anything smaller than they are, which covers a lot of territory given their impressive size!
- The Sheepdog – Another herding breed, these lovable dogs are far more energetic than their outward appearance would suggest, and are incredibly good natured. It’s not at all uncommon to see small children hanging onto them, or even riding around on them like great, shaggy horses. The more space you’ve got, the better, but as long as you take them for regular walks, or have a dog park nearby, these dogs are quiet and good-natured enough that with a bit of creativity, you could make it work if you live in an apartment.
- The Dalmatian – These iconic dogs are great with kids. They’ve got high energy, and if you live on a farm and have horses, you’ll win twice, because Dalmatians have a symbiotic relationship with horses. They don’t have the same fierce protective streak that some of the other breeds we’ve mentioned before, but they’re great companions for children of all ages.
- Finally, there’s the Labrador Retriever – These are fun loving dogs, and one of the most popular breeds in the United States(10 Most Popular Dog Breeds in America). They’re not only sweet-tempered and naturally good with kids, but they also love people in general. For this reason, Labradors don’t make very good guard dogs, but they are incredibly loyal pack members, and as such, you’ll never have to wonder if your kids are safe with a Lab around. Even better, they love water, so if you live near a river, lake, or pond, you can count on them spending a lot of time splashing and frolicking around with you!
Any of these breeds would be great for a family with children. What it comes down to in the end is which one is right for you?
You can also check: Best Pets for People Who Live in Apartments